Friday, September 24, 2010

The Problem of the Human Pacifier

I'll get to the title in a minute.  Because my body has failed to produce enough of this



I will be sending Ben to daycare on Tuesday with 3 oz. of this.

Fantastic.  I haven't yet made the purchase as I'm still hoping for a miracle.  I spoke with Miss A (the lady who keeps Ben at daycare) about why he is consuming so much milk while there, and she thinks hes got a monkey-see-monkey-do mentality.  Apparently all the babies in his room are doing it because they are roughly the same age.  It being they see another baby getting a bottle and they immediately want one as well even though they may not be hungry.  Also (this is my theory), when you've got 4 babies screaming for your attention, the easiest way to get them to shut it is to pop a bottle in their little mouth.  At least its not a supply issue on my part, but more of an environmental issue.  If he were home with me all day every day, he wouldn't need the formula, but I've already beat myself up over that one.

Back to the title.  Ben thinks I am not only a food source, but also a pacifier.  Like a REAL pacifier.  Only a human one as opposed to a plastic one.  Its getting to be kind of a problem.  He wants to be latched on to me all night long but  hes not nursing, hes using me for "non-nutritive sucking."  This has been worsened by the fact that hes on the verge of getting teeth.  His little gums hurt so he wants the extra comfort.  Not cool, Ben.  You're keeping Mommy up all night.  He would never take a real pacifier, and who can blame him when hes got a nice warm Mommy to use instead?  Not cool, Ben.  Mommy hasn't slept through the night since sometime last December.  We're going to have a Mommy-is-not-a-pacifier intervention, but I have no idea how to go about it.

In  more delicious news, check out these pumpkin whoopie pies I made last Fall.



Mmmmm I see more of these in my future!


And of course, heres the nightly dose of cuteness!

1 comment:

  1. Your theory makes way more sense than Miss A's theory. Got a screaming baby? Stick something in its mouth, that'll shut it up for a little while. I'm still in awe of the fact that you've exclusively breastfed for this long, so don't beat yourself up. Ben's gotten a much better start than 99% of kids in America -- a little formula, and organic formula at that! -- definitely won't destroy him :) My sis-in-law had the human pacifier problem. She managed to get my niece to switch to chewing away on a finger instead of a nipple and then slowly from the finger to a pacifier. Who knows, she might be on to something!

    ReplyDelete